Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place for me to vent and share about my adventures with an bum ankle. Join me as I make the effort to heal and be somehwat normal once again!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

History - Part One

I decided to start this blog in order to keep track of and share the "adventures" of an ankle sprain which becomes or develops into an OCD lesion. This has been a almost two year adventure for me so far - though as I understand from communicating with others - it can be much longer.

With that said, I figured the first thing I have to do is start a history of what has led up to the present day. I titled this as Part One only because I'm not sure how many parts it might take to actually get up to speed. I tend to be VERY verbose and detailed when I write - so this could take quite a few parts....

So - without further ado.....

It was June 30, 2008. Ashley (our youngest child) and I worked concessions at the university for a high school level special invite football game. (Our marching band program raises funds by working a concession booth at the stadium - so this is what we were doing). We were parked in a lot the the northwest of the stadium.

When we were finished at the stand, a bunch of us were allowed to leave the stand. Ashley and I walked back to the parking lot. When we had almost reached the lot, I stepped on the edge of a pot hole, lost my balance and fully wrenched my right ankle. I really did a number on it - not just twisting it, but also going over it sideways as well. Ashley had to help me walk back to the car it hurt so bad. We got home and I pulled out the ice pack, parked my behind on the couch and spent the night with ice on and off.

The next morning, it was no better, swollen and the bruising was starting to spread that I decided to go the the ER and get it checked out. For once, my husband didn't let me drive myself (should have hit me that it really DID look pretty bad for him to go that far) - so he drove me to the ER - and dropped me off. By the time he and the kids came to pick me up, I had been through X-Ray and the ER doc was just giving me the downlow...

The doc said I had sprained it - that was all. He gave me an air cast, a set of crutches and told me to stay off it for a few days and it should be better - but if not, follow up in two weeks with an orthopedist.

I played the good patient and stayed off it for about a week. Wore the air cast for another week while I limped around. At the end of two weeks, it was not much better so I opted to call for an orthopedic appointment.

Not having any insurance at the time made this a challenge - so I called the orthopedic clinic at the hospital. Silly me - I thought having been an ER patient I would be seen in a timely fashion. Couldn't get an appointment for another two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment