Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place for me to vent and share about my adventures with an bum ankle. Join me as I make the effort to heal and be somehwat normal once again!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Tale of Surgery - Part 1

My surgery was on Thursday – April 29. I had to be at the hospital for 10:15 AM with surgery scheduled for 12:15 PM. The hospital is less than an hour from home, so my daughter and I left at 9:15 – figuring it was past rush-hour by then so we would have plenty of time.
Little did we know there was construction on the highway less than 10 miles from home. Within 10 minutes we hit the traffic and sat still – only inching along for almost a half-hour. I telephoned the hospital to let them know I had not “chickened out” but was stuck in traffic. Their response was just take my time – no worries.

We eventually arrived at the hospital about a half hour later than anticipated. Kind staff members directed up to the Ambulatory Care Pavilion and my adventure for the day began…

Once up in ACP, I was taken in the back to go over insurance and other information and given my bracelet. I went back to the waiting area, only soon to be called in by a nurse to go in the back. My daughter was to wait until I was situated.

Once in the same day suite, my blood pressure, pulse and temperature was taken. I had the opportunity to give them a urine sample (from which they were going to do a pregnancy test! LOLOL). Then I got to undress and put on the lovely hospital Dior gown. My daughter then joined me and we hunkered down to wait.

The nurse assured me that my tardiness was not a problem and that my doctor wasn’t yet there – and he had another procedure prior to mine – so I was probably going to be late going to surgery.

Fun.

I was asked which ankle – and I told them the right one and I was told – I would be asked at least five more times before surgery. Just to be sure….

So – “just to be sure” I took my eyeliner and wrote on my insteps…..

The left one read - “This is the one to be LEFT alone”
The right one read – “This is the one to be made “RIGHT”

My doctor came in to chat with me. While he was still hoping to be able to do the surgery arthroscopically – he couldn’t promise that he would indeed be able to do so. But he did mention that he was going to see if a third “poke hole” would give him a better view point of the ankle so that he could do the procedure arthroscopically. I told him – whatever he had to do to make it right was fine with me. He then asked (with a smile on his face) “Which ankle?” I told him he right and then pulled the blanket off my foot and said – and I even marked it in case you forget….He looked at my feet and read them with a smile. Then he looked at me and said – let’s make it definite that everyone knows which ankle – and then he whipped out a permanent marker and wrote on my shin “PC – YES” with a big arrow pointing to my ankle. We all chuckled over that!

Shortly after, the anesthesiologist and the nurse anesthetist came in to see me. This man was very special. Not only was he gentle, kind and pleasant – but he spent a great deal of time with me patiently answering my questions and honestly giving me information so that I could make an informed decision regarding my anesthesia choice. While he was supportive of my desire to stay awake for the procedure, he patiently pointed out to me that the spinal anesthesia had a limited time span and that if the surgery took longer than that time frame – I would need to have a general anesthetic anyway.

My doc came back while we were discussing it and the discussion became three-way. Doc also had no problem with my having the spinal – but he could not guarantee the length of time the surgery would take. The Anesthesiologist told me outright that I was an excellent candidate for general anesthesia because of my current health and my health history. His only concern was my less than perfect teeth and the outside possibility that at some point I might clamp down on the breathing tube and break or dislodge one or more teeth. If that was a risk I was willing to take – then he was supportive of whatever my choice was.

Given all the information – and the fact that we honestly did not know how long the surgery itself would take – I opted to forgo the “middle man” and have the general anesthesia from the getgo. I signed the release forms and thought that was it. Shortly after, the anesthesiologist returned and showed me that in the comment section he had added that we discussed the possibility of damage to my teeth and that I understood that as well. We joked a little and then he left.

My daughter and I sat and talked for a while – and then before I knew it – the anesthesiologist was back to take me to surgery!!!

The stress of finally going to surgery and facing my fear of general anesthesia got the best of me and I got weepy. The Anesthesiologist saw and gently asked if I was OK. I told him just stressed and a bit nervous. He told me it would all be fine and that once we got in the OR he would give me a little something to calm me down. I thanked him. As we got to the ER the nurse anesthetist opened the door with a flourish and a big smile and greeted me happily. She then started introducing me to everyone in the room and I had to apologize that I wouldn’t remember their names. She told me it was OK – there wouldn’t be a quiz. 

She asked a couple of questions, situated me on the table, strapped me in and got my left arm ready to strap down. The anesthesiologist (I think) added something to my IV and then I was told to breathe the oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment